2021 CFA AGM Recap
The 2021 CFA AGM, hosted virtually this year from February 24-26, brought together farm leaders from across the country as well as industry stakeholders and government representatives to help set the priorities for Canadian Agriculture in the coming year.
This year’s theme for the CFA AGM was “Unleashing Ag’s Potential”, focusing on how agriculture can play an impactful role in Canada’s recovery from COVID-19 and beyond.
The AGM kicked off with an opening video sponsored by CN rail. If you would like to view the video, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
At the AGM, CFA heard from key political speakers. Watch the recordings below:
- Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
- Erin O’Toole, Leader of the Conservative Party
- Yves-François Blanchet, Leader of the Bloc Québécois
- Yves Perron, Agriculture Critic for the Bloc Québécois
- Alistair MacGregor, Agriculture Critic for the New Democratic Party
The third annual Brigid Rivoire Award for Champions of Agricultural Mental Health was presented at the AGM to Deborah Vanberkel for her work in developing the Farmer Wellness Program in Ontario.
CFA held three panels during the AGM. Presentations that are available to share for each panel are below:
Innovative Policy Options for The Future of Business Risk Management Programming (view a recording here)
- Presentation from Stuart Person, Senior VP, Agriculture, MNP LLP
- Presentation from Tyler Fulton, Manitoba Cattle Producer
- Presentation from Dave Sept, Golden Spruce Nurseries
- Canadian BRM Programs, Private Insurance, and Contrasts with U.S. System: Alan Ker, Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics, Guelph University
- The Economics of Environmental Goods and Services on Rural Land – Implications for Risk Management?: Glenn Fox, Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics, Guelph University
Generating Income from Greenhouse Gas Offset Credits (view a recording here)
- Nutrien’s Carbon Program: Michelle Nutting, Global Lead, Agriculture and Sustainability, Nutrien
- The Future of Soil Carbon Quantification: Karn Manhas, Founder and CEO, Terramera
- The Canadian farm business and greenhouse gas emissions: Graham Gilchrist, P.Ag., CEO, Biological Carbon Canada
- Update on the Federal GHG Offset System: Judy Meltzer, Senior Advisor to the Deputy Minister, Environment and Climate Change Canada
Unleashing Agri-Food’s Potential Path Forward: The Downstream Stakeholders’ Perspective (view a recording here)
- Presentation from Randy White, President, Sysco Canada
- Presentation from Carla Ventin, Senior VP, Government Relations, Food, Health and Consumer Products of Canada
- Presentation from Gary Sands, Senior VP, Government Relations, Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers
- Joelle Faulkner, CEO, Area One Farms: An Equity Model for Farm Expansion in Canada (view a recording here)
- CFA members also received updates from CFA’s 10 Corporate Leaders throughout the AGM with pre-taped videos or live presentations which outlined their organizations goals and activities. You can find these updates on CFA’s Youtube Channel.
CFA was also happy to host a private Q & A with our Corporate Partner, Farm Credit Canada, and their CEO Michael Hoffort on February 23rd. This session was an important opportunity for CFA members to ask questions and benefit from FCC’s expertise in farm finances.
Spirits Canada Virtual Cocktail Reception
On February 23rd, Spirits Canada hosted the Virtual Cocktail Reception, where Spirits Canada President and CEO Jan Westcott, along with Lead Mixologist Mike Barrington, gave the AGM attendees a quick course in mixing three different premium cocktails sourced from Canadian ingredients.
CFA would like to thank Spirits Canada for hosting this wonderful event!
Thank you to our sponsors
CFA would like to sincerely that our Corporate Partner, Corporate Leaders and all the AGM sponsors for helping to make this event a reality. We could not do this without your support.